Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Psalm of My Own

In the dark hours of the night, I composed this short psalm:

My God, my God, why do You forsake me?
Why do You give my enemies power over me,
  And let the wicked prey on the righteous?
Why do you allow the betrayer of Your hosts to destroy Your creation?
  Why do you stand by while his legions assault Your defenseless people?

O my God, when will You release us from our chains?
  When will you free us from the bonds of our decieved hearts?
O God, when will you return,
  And show us that our sufferings have not been in vain?
When will you reveal yourself to the nations?
  When will you show the ungodly the injustice of their scornful words?

But I know You, the Creator of the heavens, are a just and vengeful God.
I know You will not leave Your children to die,
  Nor will You leave them unarmed.
No, You give them the power to defeat their captors;
  You offer them swords to slay their enemies.
By Your power they drive back the servants of Your foe.
  Behold, Your name alone sends the demons running in fear.

Praise to You, O Yahweh!
  Praise to our God and Rescuer!
None can defy You, O Lord;
  Anyone who blasphemes against you shall suffer for eternity.
For You are the Living God,
And Your power and love are endless.
You keep me safe from the arrows of my enemies:
  You protect me from their scornful words.
Though my foes surround me like a swarm of locusts, I will not come to harm.

May our eternal God live forever!
  May his hands never leave his children!
Thus I, servant of the all-powerful Jehovah, have written.
The blessed work of our Master will resound through the ages.

Amen.

1 comment: